Hello, hello! It’s almost NaNo and that’s a huge thing. People all over are stumbling around and screaming
or is that just me? 😉 as they try to figure out what their going to do for their NaNo novel. I, for one, am freaking out incredibly.
Don’t know what NaNo is? It’s short for NaNoWriMo, which in turn means National Novel Writing Month. In November people worldwide make a pledge to write an entire novel (or a certain word-count) in a month. I’ve done NaNo since … 2012 maybe? And am prepping for another go this November.
Today I’m linking up with the queens Cait @ Paperfury and Sky @ Further Up And Further In to do their monthly Beautiful People (or this time Beautiful Books, which is slightly different) and introduce you all to my NaNo novel!
Y’all ready for this?
- What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
It was inspired by … being the companion novel of Eigengrau (which isn’t one of my NaNo novels but I’ve been writing since like … a year ago!)
- Describe what your novel is about!
So the concept of Eigengrau/Examplar is that the hero always tells the story. And sometimes the villain is not always who they seem to be.
They’re completely different stories, about the people who are the hero/villain in each others.
The MC in Eigengrau is a girl who has always been seen as a villain, and views herself as one, and the MC in the one I’m writing for NaNo is a guy (who may or may not have anxiety, that was a plot bunny that I’m not sure is happening) that everyone worships the ground he walks on but who isn’t so sure he’s actually an okay guy.
They’re based in medieval type times and are sort of fantasy maybe? Mostly I’m just diving down into the psychological aspect and have a lot of character stuff worked out, though I really need to go more into word building and plot …
- What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!
I have a Pinterest aesthetic board (which … needs more stuff on it? I’m not too good at Pinterest aesthetic boards?) but here ya go …
- Introduce us to each of your characters!
Currently the cast just consists of
Conlan: The MC. A soldier/idk what to call him. He’s chill.
I really don’t know what else to say? There’s a couple more I have plotted out but spoilers (plus I need to figure them out more … xD)
- How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)
I mainly freak out, procastinate, and then fail at writing. Personally, I wouldn’t reccoment this approach. 😉
Uh, I normally outline, make a Pinterest board, collect lots of candy, and cry.
- What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
I’m just really excited about this trilogy.* I really like the idea and how twisty it is. It will bring a great deal of pain to me and whoever reads it and that makes me happy.
*Eigengrau, Exemplar, and Apricity
- List 3 things about your novel’s setting.
Let’s see …
(1) There’s assorted kingdoms (kind of likee city states) run by assorted people. The one Conlan lives in basically has a matriarchy which is currently … sort of tyrannical? will be fuuun.
(2) It’s filled with mostly forests but there’s some nice deserts and mountains.
(3) I think it’s mostly medieval technology, though I *might* be incorporating some advanced things? idk.
- What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?
At first he thinks it’s his sister, then himself, then the MC in Eigengrau But really it’s just himself through the whole book. He honestly doesn’t have specific goals I think? Maybe like “find himself” or something odd like that …
- How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
I’d like to say he becomes a better person but … he really just like … falls down a hole through the whole book and won’t rise until the last book in the series.
- What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?
I basically want to question their entire life and views. And mess with they’re minds.
I don’t really have a nice wholesome theme tbh …?
hopefully that helped me be more prepared for NaNo
In all honesty that’s everything!
You may or may not be hearing more about Exemplar as NaNo gets closer and throughout November (though if you’d hate that just tell me and I’ll try to resist the great temptation).
Just a reminder, if you haven’t already (or though of more questions) I’m doing a Q&A to celebrate Penumbra’s anniversary! You can enter questions here …
Until later …
Have you done Beautiful People this month? Are you planning on doing NaNo? Did I describe my novel well enough that you actually know anything I’m talking about? xD Are you a writer? What’s your favorite genre to write (or read, if ya don’t write). Comment below! I like to talk too much.